Is it really necessary to replace my timing belt at the recommended interval?
YES. The failure of a timing belt in many cars can result in major engine damage. The cost of repairing an engine with a broken timing belt is much greater than the cost of a timing belt replacement.
What does it mean if my “check engine” or “service engine soon” light comes on?
There are many sensors and computerized components that manage your vehicle’s engine performance and emissions. When one of these fails, the “check engine” light is illuminated. Although your car may seem to run fine, it is important to have the issue addressed to prevent long-term problems.
How often should I rotate my tires?
Your tires should be rotated every other oil change, or every 6000 miles. Neglecting to rotate tires is a major cause of premature tire wear.
What should I do if my car starts to overheat?
This is a very serious problem – if your car overheats for too long, you can damage your engine. As soon as possible, find a safe place to pull off the road and shut the engine off! Do not attempt to check the fluid level in the radiator as it can burn you. The best thing to do is have your car towed to a repair shop.
When should I get my oil changed?
You should get your oil changed every 3000 miles or as recommended in your vehicle’s owner’s manual.
What is that milky brown engine oil?
Milky brown engine oil is an indication of coolant in the oil. This can be caused by a blown head gasket (other gasket), a failed transmission cooler, or cracked casings. This condition is very serious and needs to be checked by a professional technician quickly.
How to make sure my car battery has a good electrical connection?
Battery cables and terminals should also be cleaned and inspected to make sure they provide a good electrical connection.
What is synthetic motor oil?
Synthetic motor oils can be a good choice for high output, turbocharged or supercharged engines, vehicles that are used for towing (especially during hot weather), or vehicles that are operated in extremely cold or hot climates.
Synthetic motor oils, though several times more expensive than mineral-based motor oils, can improve fuel economy and provide longer intervals between changes. They also provide instant lubrication on start-up.
When should I change my spark plugs?
For maximum fuel economy and peak engine performance, your spark plugs should be replaced every 30 months or 30,000 miles, unless your vehicle is equipped with 100,000-mile platinum tipped spark plugs.
I need to replace a burned out fuse, what should I do?
Always replace burned-out fuses with ones of the same amperage (printed on the fuse) and note that if a fuse continues to “blow,” you should have the circuit checked professionally by one of our technicians for defects.
When should I replace my car’s fuel filter?
To help ensure dependable, trouble-free performance, replace your car’s fuel filter approximately every 30,000 miles or as recommended in your vehicle’s owner’s manual.
General Driving Tips
- To properly align your driver side mirror, put your head close to the window and position your mirror so you just can see your car.
- If your mirrors are positioned correctly, a passing car should appear in your side mirror before leaving your rearview mirror. You should also see a passing car in your peripheral vision before leaving the side mirror.
- Never pump your brakes if you have anti-lock brakes (ABS), and don’t be alarmed if the brake pedal pulsates under your foot under hard breaking. ABS systems are designed to operate that way. Just keep your foot planted firmly on the brake pedal and let the ABS system do its job.
- Adjust your head restraint so that it is between the top of your ears and the top of your head and is as close to your head as possible without pushing it forward or changing the height.
- When traveling by car, pack a first-aid kit, water, blankets, snacks, and a flashlight.
- Watch out for deer on the roads, especially in rural areas. Flashing your lights repeatedly will generally scare deer away. Remember deer usually travel in groups.
- Whenever you turn on your wipers, you should turn on your headlights. In some states it’s the law.
- On vehicles WITHOUT anti-lock braking systems (ABS), if your brakes lock up and cause a skid, let up on the brakes and then brake gently.
- Always drive into a skid, not against it.
- You should drive sitting at least 10 inches from the steering wheel.
- Positioning your hands at the 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock (or 9 and 3) positions on the steering wheel is recommended.
Congratulations. you made the right choice by having your car repaired at ExperTec Automotive in Costa Mesa. All work at this shop is done with advanced refinishing products and is applied by specially trained and certified technicians.